Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Seatbelt

Although not a jet-setter, I do occasionally fly for business purposes. I’ve been through the flight attendant speech enough times to categorically tune it out. I’ve learned how to buckle and unbuckle the seatbelt (I still wonder why airplane seatbelts and car seatbelts don’t unbuckle the same way). I know where to find the exits and could probably locate the life vest under my seat.

This brings me to the subject of rules. I know I have to wear the seatbelt when I fly. The flight attendants make sure I have my seatbelt fastened before take off. Due to the cramped environment of an airplane, complaints tend to surface more frequently while flying than in other circumstances. And yet, I’ve not heard anyone complain about wearing a seatbelt (at least not so far). People tend to abide by rules that make sense and are enforced.

When you get beyond rules that make sense and are enforced, you are imposing unbalanced rules. If the parties involved need to look up rules in detail to see if they are being followed, you’ve got a sign that the rules are too complex to make sense. If there is no obvious way to enforce the rule, it easily goes unheeded.

Therefore, I advise you to either create a simple enforceable rule or instead create a guideline. A guideline will force the appropriate conversation between the two or more parties at odds in a work situation. A convoluted rule will require the same conversation to take place, but everyone will righteously assume that their view is backed by organizational mandate. If you can’t make a seatbelt rule, make a guideline instead.

No comments: